Thursday, July 23, 2009

Autobiography in Five Short Chapters

(by Portia Nelson)

I.
I walk down the street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I fall in. I am lost...I am helpless. It isn't my fault. It takes forever to find my way out.

II.
I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I pretend I don't see it. I fall in, again. I can't believe I am in this same place. But it isn't my fault. It still takes a long time to get out.

III.
I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I see it is there. I still fall in...it's a habit...but, my eyes are open. I know where I am. It is my fault. I get out immediately.

IV.
I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I walk around it.

V.
I walk down a different street.

No comments:

Post a Comment