Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Hokey Pokey...

I heard a good joke a night or so ago at the BDF fundraiser for a couple of lawyer-friends of mine...


Q: What do you throw a drowning lawyer

A: His Partners


I am blessed to know a lot of really cool people. I figure God must know how much help I need, so he keeps putting folks on my little path to keep me inspired and motivated. I met several more a few nights ago at the BDF Fundraiser. One of them was Leo Severino who is the co-producer of the movie "Bella" which came out in theaters about a year or so ago. In his "Fire Speech" I realized how much I am not doing for the kingdom. You should see the laundry list of things that he's up to in Hollywood and elsewhere, fighting the good fight for life and standing on the convictions that got people killed a few centuries back. Leo basically put his promising law career and the lure of easy money aside in order to bring the message of the Gospels to the screen. The convicting moment for me came when he told of a conversation he was having that reinforced our Good vs. Evil fight at the end of time when, at the end of the story, we win; Satan is vanquished to the bowels of hell and God and his people will reign victorious forever. At the sound of the last trumpet Michael pounces on the devil and Christ restores the garden. I believe this will happen. But, and here's the clincher, what about right now. What are we doing to fight the battle right now. What am I doing to make sure that it doesn't get much worse for my grandchildren than it appears to be getting right now? His answer came plainly. We win (now) when we become Christ in the world. When we stop sitting on our hands and thinking that other people will clean up our messes; When we work on our own side of the street; When we start doing the next right thing, whatever that is.

Here's a great illustration. Remember the Hokey Pokey? Admittedly, sometimes I'm putting my arm in, shaking it around a little and then pulling it back out. Maybe it's a leg... Give it a shake or two...right back out again. You get the picture.

Here's a guy doing the full Hokey. Whole self in and shaking it all about. Does he care what people think about him? Doubtful. Does he care? Absolutely. About his soul, about your soul and about my soul.

We need more Leos. And we need more Dorindas and Niks out there. What makes them different? I think I know. They decreased and God increased....the full Hokey Pokey. They became less self and more Other. They stepped outside of their own flesh and began to live "on the edge"; some may say "of insanity"! To be certain, to live for others may be insane to the world's standards, but to those of our Lord?


That's what it's all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment