Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Immolation

I was really ticked off before Mass today. Someone had offended the almighty me.  Would you like to listen in to the hamster wheel in my head? Sort of goes like this:

"How dare they insult and offend me this way. I was only trying to do something good. Don't they know who I am. I am a good volunteer.  I am one of he best. No one should treat me this way. If only they knew the trouble I have gone to for this project and all the souls I will save by my gracious and glorious act, they would not treat me so abjectly.

Then I strode into church to take my rightful and glorious place.

That was until I saw His rightful and glorious place on the crucifix. Mind if I change the script profoundly? okay. Here goes.

How dare we insult and offend HIM this way?
After all, HE is always trying to do something good (for us).
Don't we know who HE is? (God of the universe).
HE is a good (most perfect) volunteer (God's Son who gave HIS very life for us).
HE is the best.
No one should treat HIM this way.
If only we knew the trouble HE went through (His life, passion and death) for this project (eternal salvation)
And all of the souls HE will save (including my own titanically arrogant one) by HIS most gracious and glorious act...
they wouldn't treat HIM so abjectly (crucifying Him)

I have a long way to go.
The only "I" word fitting enough for this little spartan is "Immolation". Ahh yes.  That's a good place to start on Ash Wednesday.
Lord have mercy on me, a sinner.

3 comments:

  1. Oh yes, Linda and may God have mercy on us all! I think we all have similar thoughts that are geared to the "me" and the "I." My mother once told me, "If you think about others and do for others, you will feel better about yourself and it will actually reduce a lot of stress." She was right! If we seek the Will of God and do for others in the name of Jesus Christ, we will be led to greater heights and we may benefit greatly! Of course we are human and occasionally fall back into the "I" mode. And then...thank you God for the sacrament of reconcillation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHHHH! Karen! I was talking about your post to my co-worker Linda and typed it in...sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our Lord and Savior does not ask us to be a "doormat". Remember when He called the Pharisees "a brood of vipers"? I used to think that was a pretty mean comment for Him to make, but He was stating the truth to them to inspire them to CHANGE. Your reaction to this incident was totally, humanly understandable. The fact that were able to connect your insult with the ones He suffered during His passion is GRACE. Let's pray for the person who is so sadly misinformed and militant in her stubbornness. May He inspire change through you.
    RedCat's Mom

    ReplyDelete