Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Healing Prayers

Because we're all still sorta sick...

Prayer of St. Bernard
Come, Lord Jesus, take away scandals from Your Kingdom, which is my soul, and reign there, You alone who have the right. For greediness comes to claim a throne within me; haughtiness and self assertion would rule over me; pride would be my king; lust says "I will reign"; ambition, detraction, envy and anger struggle within me for the mastery.  I resist as far as I am able; I struggle according as help is given me; I call on my Lord, Jesus; for His sake I defend myself, since I acknowledge myself as wholly His possession.  he is my God, Him I proclaim my Lord; I have no other king than my Lord, Jesus Christ.  Come then, O Lord, and disperse these enemies by Your power, and You shall reign in me, for you are my King and my God.  Amen. 



The (Entire) Serenity Prayer 
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference; living one day at a time, enjoying one moment at a time, accepting hardship as a pathway to peace, taking, as Jesus did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it; trusting that You will make all things right if I surrender to Your will, so that I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with You forever in the next. Amen.


Lead O Kindly Light

Lead, O kindly light, amid the encircling gloom, Lead thou me on the night is dark and I am far from home, Lead thou me on Keep thou my feet, I do not ask to see the distant scene, one step enough for me.
I was not ever thus, nor prayed that thou should lead me on. I loved to choose and see my path, but now Lead thou me on. I loved the garish day, and spite of fears pride ruled my will; remember not past years.
So long thy power hath blest me, sure it still will Lead me on O'er moor and fen, o'er crag and torrent, till the night is gone, and with the morn those angel faces smile, which I have loved long since, and lost awhile. Amen.
Cardinal Newman



The Litany of Humility

O Jesus! meek and humble of heart, Hear me.
From the desire of being esteemed,
Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being loved...
From the desire of being extolled ...
From the desire of being honored ...
From the desire of being praised ...
From the desire of being preferred to others...
From the desire of being consulted ...
From the desire of being approved ...
From the fear of being humiliated ...
From the fear of being despised...
From the fear of suffering rebukes ...
From the fear of being calumniated ...
From the fear of being forgotten ...
From the fear of being ridiculed ...
From the fear of being wronged ...
From the fear of being suspected ...

That others may be loved more than I,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be esteemed more than I ...
That, in the opinion of the world,
others may increase and I may decrease ...
That others may be chosen and I set aside ...
That others may be praised and I unnoticed ...
That others may be preferred to me in everything...
That others may become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should…

2 comments: